Wednesday, January 1, 2014

An Alzheimers Request


It seems easier to take care of children than help older people or even loved ones who have Alzheimer's Disease. Those are useful words to remind us to be patient with those in great need.

Do not ask me to remember
Don't try to make me understand
Let me rest and know you're with me
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand

I'm confused beyond your concept
I am sad and sick and lost
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all costs
Please do not lose your patience with me
Do not scold me or curse or cry
I can't help the way I'm acting
I can't be different though I try
Just remember that I need you
And that the best of me is gone
Please don't fail to stand beside me
And love me 'til my life is done


Possibly, the wise author of this poem is Owen Darnell, who cared for his wife Esther while her memory was being erased by Alzheimer's Disease. After having a health problem, Darnell had to put Esther in a nursing home, where he visited her daily. He wrote a booklet called "A Room Without Doors" to help caregivers. 

No comments:

The Land of Might-Have-Been - Novello/Marsh

The Land of might-have-been, such a beautiful music, sung by Jeremy Northam, disappeared from Deezer! But we still can find it at YouTube. &...